Scuba enthusiasts will gather in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia from July 3–5, 2009 for the fourth annual Malaysia International Dive Expo (MIDE). The event is the largest dive show in Malaysia. Organizers expect more than 10,000 visitors for the three-day event, which will feature approximately 155 booths and 120 exhibitors.
MIDE will feature a variety of programs and activities including:
- Product demonstrations at the MIDE Demo Pool located at the entrance of the Putra World Trade Center.
- Children’s underwater coloring contest.
- Workshops and training programs on a variety of diving topics such as choosing and maintaining dive equipment and selecting dive destinations. Photographic topics include how to shoot macros and shooting with a strobeless compact digital.
- Seminars on a variety of topics ranging from marine conservation, marine species and diving rescue to photography and technical topics.
- “Through the Lens” underwater photography competition: Over 1,000 photographers from around the world compete for prizes in six categories: macro, wide-angle, portfolio, young underwater photographer, underwater art and underwater Malaysia. Prizes include scuba gear, photography equipment and trips to southeast Asia.
The Malaysia International Dive Expo 2009 is endorsed and supported by Tourism Malaysia, Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur (DBKL), Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), Eraman Duty Free, Keretapi Tanah Melayu (KTM), National Art Gallery Malaysia, Maritime Malaysia, Sabah Tourism Board, Malaysian Amateur Radio Emergency Services (MARES) and Tioman Mega Dive.
Admission to the expo is free. Special room rates including buffet breakfasts, service charges and taxes are available at the Best Western Premier Seri Pacific Kuala Lumpur hotel. A room reservation form is available on the MIDE website.
Attendees should plan on staying in Malaysia after MIDE to participate in some actual scuba diving amongst the South China Sea’s many reefs.